Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Where Were You on Evolution Sunday?

Over 455 churches in 49 states agreed to participate in "Evolution Sunday" on February 12. Over 10,000 men and women of the cloth signed a statement declaring:
Within the community of Christian believers there are areas of dispute and disagreement, including the proper way to interpret Holy Scripture. While virtually all Christians take the Bible seriously and hold it to be authoritative in matters of faith and practice, the overwhelming majority do not read the Bible literally, as they would a science textbook. Many of the beloved stories found in the Bible - the Creation, Adam and Eve, Noah and the ark - convey timeless truths about God, human beings, and the proper relationship between Creator and creation expressed in the only form capable of transmitting these truths from generation to generation. Religious truth is of a different order from scientific truth. Its purpose is not to convey scientific information but to transform hearts.

Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Presbyterian, Church of Christ, Lutheran, Disciples of Christ, and clergy of other denominations affirmed their belief in sermon on the infallibility of Darwin and his theories. As Brian Bauknight, a Methodist minister from Bethel Park, Pennsylvania said:
I've told you before and I want to say this again: I take the Bible very seriously; but I do not always take it literally. I never have. In particular, I have never taken Genesis 1 and 2 literally. I believe that Abraham and Jacob and Joseph and Moses and Joshua and David and Solomon were real historical figures. But Genesis 1 and 2 is made up of parables—reverent images. They proclaim a great truth without being history. I believe what they say, but I don't believe they are documented history.
I'm assuming that man being made in the image of God (Gen. 1:26) is an ongoing metaphor used throughout the Bible (Gen. 9:6, I Cor. 11:7, Col. 3:10, and Jam. 3:9).

Who are we to believe? The Bible or Darwin?
A zookeeper came across an orangutan reading two books. One was the Bible; the other was Darwin’s Origin of Species.‚“Why are you reading such opposite books?” the zookeeper asked. Replied the orangutan, “Well, I’m trying to figure out if I’m supposed to be my brother’s keeper or my keeper’s brother.”